Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Remembering Robin Williams 1951-2014 (and an important message about depression)

photo credit: nbcbayarea

Yesterday, the world lost an amazing and iconic performer. Robin Williams was found dead at his home of an apparent suicide. He was 63 years old. He leaves behind a loving wife and three children.
Williams had been in the entertainment industry for several decades and captured the hearts of millions around the world. Some of his most notable works include: "Mork and Mindy," "Good Morning, Vietnam," "Dead Poet's Society," "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Hook," "Aladdin," and "The Birdcage."

photo credit: picstopin

While he delighted the world through his stand up comedy and through the small and big screen, he battled inner demons behind the scenes. He battled a cocaine addiction in the 1970s and early 1980s. The death of his friend John Belushi and the birth of his son Zak helped him overcome his addictions.
After being sober for 20 years, he relapsed in 2003 and checked himself into treatment in 2006.
Williams also battled depression and possible Bipolar disorder.
Depression (and Bipolar disorder) are serious mental disorders. Once these illnesses take hold of a person, it severely impacts the life and spirit of the person.

My story:
I should know because I battle with both of these illnesses every day of my life. I've battled depression for most of my life, and I've battled Bipolar disorder since 2009. I know what it's like to be so low that the only way out is to end your life. I've stared at sharp objects, a bottle of pills, a bottle of alcohol, a rope, and wondered if everyone in my life would be better off without me. In fact, I have overdosed, too many times. I've had some close-calls. While I don't know Robin Williams personally, his death hits home for me, since he is a brother in the fight against depression.
While I am in treatment for both illnesses, I do have low moments, especially during trigger points and stressful times. But I have techniques to overcome my thoughts. I use coping techniques and talk myself out of my low points. I write. I talk to someone. I do what I can so I don't harm myself. Since 2000, I have not attempted suicide, and since 2011, I have not self-harmed. I will battle this for the rest of my life, but I know how to talk myself out of hurting myself.

Robin Williams is someone that I loved watching in movies (and on "Mork and Mindy"). My favorite movie of his was "Mrs. Doubtfire." Williams had this larger than life personality and you couldn't help but fall in love with him.
I am still in shock that he is gone. The entire world is in shock. He was one of my all-time favorite actors and he will be forever missed.

RIP Robin Williams! You will be forever loved and adored!

Readers: What is your favorite Robin Williams movie?

*If you are (or someone you know is) struggling with depression, please call 1-800-273-TALK. Someone is available to speak with you 24/7/365. These people truly care about what you are going through and want to help you. Please call if you are in crisis.*

No comments:

Post a Comment